See the video: Big Ivy Speaks
Barnardsville NC, 28709
Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina, just a few minutes from Asheville.
NOTICE – THE MAHEC Family Health Center at Big Ivy WILL BE CLOSING ON JANUARY 16TH.
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT.
Speak up for Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests!
The USFS is currently preparing its Revision Plan for the Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests. Of the 1.05 million acres that comprise these forests, they are proposing opening up 942,000 acres to “Timber Harvest” (logging!). The only areas not open to logging would be 93,450 acres of Wilderness Areas.
for more information please see: FRIENDS OF BIG IVY
More than a million acres of Western North Carolina lies in the Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests. Ensuring that that land is managed properly for people and nature is vital to our future. That’s why we are actively involved in helping shape the management plan that will guide work in the Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests for the next 20 years.
We have spent the past couple of years taking a close look at the current state of the Nantahala and Pisgah. We have good data to use as we make recommendations for the forest’s future. Please join us in asking the U.S. Forest Service to:
- Make ecological restoration the overarching goal of the new plan
- Restore forest types that are the most departed from their historical condition
- Prevent fragmentation of important core forests
- Return fire to the landscape, including wilderness areas, through the use of controlled burning
- Protect old growth forests from commercial logging
- Manage the forest to protect 36 ecologically important areas identified by the NC Natural Heritage Program